~ sea-ville ~

23 January 2007

grandma lock

Deb's mother died last week. Mrs. Lock was always very good to Ilisa & me, always remembering us for birthdays and such. When I lived in Spain, she wrote me extensively. It was always a little surprising & odd & lovely & entertaining -- all at the same time -- to get mail from her. When she used nicknames, rather than given names, she would put them in quotes: Your Dad and "Debbie" came out to Indiana … "Patty" and Mark took Zane to see the Christmas lights ... I never really figured that out. As I've been planning for this voyage, I've been thinking a lot about living in Spain and all the traveling I did in Europe that year. No one, of course, writes actual letters anymore -- not that letter-writing is convenient when you are at sea -- but I do hope that you will email me. And may those emails be surprising & odd & lovely & entertaining, all at the very same time. Much love to "Debbie" and "Patty," to "Skip" and to "Rick".