~ sea-ville ~

01 January 2007

happy new year

Today is New Year’s Day and so it seems a good day to start a blog. This is my first official post as I get ready to go to sea. I will be the University of Virginia Librarian for Semester at Sea, spring 2007. I am the third UVA librarian to head off on this voyage.

I first want to thank everyone who helped me think up creative blog names. For those of you who don’t live in the #1 city in the country, you need to know that we go by C-Ville (or CVille or C’Ville, punctuate as you like). Sea-Ville, therefore, seems all too appropriate for a blog name as UVA undertakes this still very-new adventure. Other names in the running included:

Luna Sea (already taken)
Water Log (already taken)
Seas the Day (already taken)
I-sea-a-librarian
LibrarianOverboard
ESS, oh ESS!
Around the world in 100 days
(or, cataloger joke: Around the world in 1XX days)
Sea-also
Sea-reality
SeaQuestered
Finding Stalberg
Sea-span
Fishy Pokey, which even came with a song:

Put your left fin in, take your left fin out
You do the fishy pokey and you turn yourself around that's what it’s all about
Put your right gill in, take your right gill out …
Or, quite amusing, but much too long to type:
LibrarianAtColloadialSuspensionOfSaltMicrofaunaAndFloraAlsoKnownAsSea

Aren’t you glad I chose sea-ville instead?

Anyways, we sail February 4th. I leave C-Ville on January 29th.
Bookmark this space!