~ sea-ville ~

24 March 2007

day 49

we arrive in Chennai tomorrow. Everyone is madly preparing. I don’t think I’ve checked anything out today except for travel guides. There are exams this morning (mid-terms) and much jubilation throughout the library space as they get finished up. Tomorrow as we arrive in Chennai, it will be day 50. Tomorrow, we’ll officially be half-way through. It feels like a very long time and like no time at all … all at the same time. My real life caught up with me a little this week. Needed to work on my annual report for UVA, needed to write a recommendation letter, the new RDA draft is out for comment … I find that I’m having a hard time bringing my real life forward now in my brain.

While in India, I’m headed on a trip to Kerala: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala. Kerala is on the southwest coast and our trip should include Hindu Temples, a Catholic Church, a Jewish synagogue, a wildlife preserve, and a boating experience down the back channels. I’m looking forward to the trip. It’s billed as a 5-day trip, but day 1 doesn’t start until tomorrow night at 7:00 when we board a sleeper train. And day 5 is the morning we return at 6:00 am. So, really 3 full days. The train should be cool, I just hope that it’s not dark outside the whole time. I hear the area is beautiful. Suthar told me I would love it. I’m a bit worried about the heat. It’s going to be very very very hot. Mary described her last visit to India as “suffocating”. She also said, though, that heat in general doesn’t bother her so much anymore. No matter how hot it is, it doesn’t compare to how it was in India. Hmmmmm …

Last night, we were honored with a glorious performance from some dolphins. There were so many of them. Jumping and playing and riding alongside our wake. For a good 15 minutes; up to four of them jumping in unison. It was stunning. I stood there and watched wondering if I dare leave to go get my camera. Of course, as soon as I did they were nearly out of view. If you blow this photo up really large (like screen size), you'll see one:

But, as the dolphins faded away, the sun started to set. And, for that, I did have my camera:

And this is Michael & Mary, of my new adopted family:

It will be a blogless week for my dedicated readership. Talk to you all after Chennai …