~ sea-ville ~

13 May 2007

convocation

so, first this morning, remember the Archbishop said very nice things about the library at breakfast? Then, tonight there was Convocation to honor the students aboard who are graduating seniors and the shipboard community at large. I processed in with the faculty, which was nice -- I have to say I’ve felt totally part of the faculty and that has worked really well -- and there’s something a bit ego-boosting about standing there with all the students applauding for you. And then the Archbishop spoke and went through a list of things he wondered how we will ever live without: the noontime bridge report (as mentioned by Marvel the other day, how will we ever get our bearings?), Mizraim singing the dining hall, Bob and his ubiquitous guitar … and … excellent library service. “I ask for a book and, at the next port, there is the book I asked for!,” he said with his tell-tale giggle. And then Dean Larry thanked us also during his remarks (he thanked all the staff offices individually) and Sherri & I got a very warm applause. This was a very cool gig.