~ sea-ville ~

15 May 2007

flying home

not that I’m in the business of doing commercials but I recommend the Hampton Inn Sea World/Airport next time you are in San Diego. $129, the room was big and beautiful, the beds were oh-so-comfy and white, the shower was really really hot and with strong water pressure, there’s free high speed internet, hot breakfast and a newspaper are included *and* they have a free shuttle to the airport. I couldn’t have asked for anything more. Exactly what I needed.

At the time, I didn’t even know how much …

I boarded an 11:25 flight from San Diego. We weighed too much and so they had to come back and add more fuel to the plane. No doubt it had something to do with all the crap the various Semester at Sea passengers were carrying (myself included). There were a number of us on this flight. Somebody should have warned them. So, we sat for a bit. Then, there were thunderstorms on the east coast and so we got re-routed. We arrived an hour late and about 25 minutes before my connection. I ran ran ran to my connecting flight. When we got off the first flight, the board said my C-Ville flight was on time. In the 15 minutes it took me to run run run from where the big cross-country planes come in and then get the shuttle to the rinky-dink terminal where the rinky-dink small planes leave from, the C-Ville flight managed to post a 45 minute delay. So, here I am blogging. The bad news is a) there is no free wireless in this airport and, since I refuse to pay, I’m not posting this now; and b) there is no outlet to be seen where I can plug in my iPod which is not going to last the flight to C-Ville. The good news is a) I reached Leland & Joe, who are graciously meeting me at the airport even though it means a very late night for them, and I reached Ashley, my dogsitter, who is prepared in case my flight gets cancelled in the end; b) I got food, which was good because all I’ve had all day is a biscuit and orange juice at the hotel (despite the hot breakfast they offered me free), since even cross-country planes don’t serve anything more than nuts any more; and c) my body is still on California-time, so it feels 3 hours earlier than it actually is and I’m not yet totally consumed by exhaustion. I just put my laptop back on Eastern Time GMT-05:00 (US & Canada).

I have now officially traveled all the way around the world and I’d really like to be home.