~ sea-ville ~

03 May 2007

mostly horizontal

i spent most of the day today horizontal. We're moving much too much in my opinion and I’m not even nearly as ill as others. I can’t keep my eyes open, which they do say is low-grade sea-sickness. I actually think it’s a combination of things -- the movement plus the time changes plus end-of-voyage emotion and stress. It’s knocking me out. I slept and slept -- fortunately Sherri & I haven’t been sea-sick simultaneously, so we’ve conveniently alternated coverage as needed. There is a fire door that separates the library from the stairwell & the Union and this afternoon it slammed shut crazy-fast and crazy-loudly as the ship lurched far to the right (starboard). There were immediately 6 crew standing there chatting about the door. That probably was not supposed to happen …

I did come in for a bit (saw the fire door slam) and I am here again now, 8:00-9:00, to cover one of our students who wanted to go to a show tonight. The acting classes are putting on a show -- last night and tonight. I went last night and it was very fun. It was called “The 13th Port” and was totally written, directed, sung, acted by the class. They were great and it was really enjoyable to see them do their thing.

This morning was the last discussion group for Global Studies. Some went ok, some went not-so-ok, it was an interesting experiment. Consensus mainly was that we should have done this from the beginning. Tomorrow, the Archbishop is speaking.

Lots of studying happening in the library, but even more than that are group projects. The library has some of the only large-ish tables on the ship, so groups are spread out there and along the bar. We have to climb over folks to move around the library. The show is taking place in the Union and someone just came out of there into the library to tell students they shouldn’t be doing papers, they should go see some theatre instead. That’s definitely one of the challenges here on the ship, many, many extracurricular options … although the students in the library all looked up at him and then went back right on studying. The music is pretty loud, so I will likely get to hear the show all over again.

Another time change tonight -- we’ll be 7 hours behind the East Coast and closing in …