~ sea-ville ~

29 January 2007

on ship

Erika (our fall voyage librarian) & Chris (her partner & also a UVA librarian) & I are sitting on the pool deck. Kind of astounding. We got here pretty easily, good travel karma. Arrived in Charlotte a little late so there was a little flight-connection worry, but all turned out just fine -- both people & luggage. Got some food, Erika gave us a tour of the ship. And now we're just sitting here in the Florida warmth taking it all in. I tried to take some photos of the ship down at the port but security officers prevented me. No photos allowed. I'll put up some photos as soon I can. Erika says no one will care in Nassau. We thought we were to sail tonight, but actually we're here in Fort Lauderdale until tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll start to figure out the library. We're missing a few of the boxes we sent, but since we're here until tomorrow night, I'm trying not to obsess about that yet ...

Several people commented that if we couldn't both embark & disembark in the United States (students board in Nassau & we disembark in San Diego), this must not be a U.S. ship. The ship sails under the Bahamian flag & it was built in Greece. 'Tis your trivia tip of the day.